Introduction: Laryngeal cancer is one of the most common head and neck malignancies, accounting for about 20% of all cases. The association of laryngeal cancer and tobacco smoking is well-established. Aims and Objectives: To study the findings of laryngeal cancer on computed tomography. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 35 patients who came for CT in the Department of Radio Diagnosis at a Tertiary Health Care Centre in a period of 2 years. Results and Conclusion: Carcinoma of larynx is less common below the age of 50 years. Maximum numbers of diagnosed patients are in the age group of 60-69 years. Carcinoma of larynx is more common in males. Tobacco smoking has significant risk. Smoking and alcohol act synergistically in predisposing to cancer of larynx. Hoarseness of voice is the most common presenting complaint. Glottic cancers are more common.
How to Cite
Kakade, A., Baviskar, S., Gadgil, S. B., Gangwal, A. D., Komatwar, P., & Saxena, S. (2020). Computed Tomography Findings in Cases of Carcinoma Larynx in a Tertiary Care Centre: A Descriptive Study. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 182–191. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/24513
- Karatzanis AD, Psychogios G, Waldfahrer, F. et al. Management of locally advanced laryngeal cancer. J of Otolaryngol - Head and Neck Surg. 43, 4 2014; 43(4). PMid: 24472173 PMCid: PMC3909348. https://doi.org/10.1186/1916-0216-43-4.
- Joshi VM, Wadhwa V, Mukherji SK. Imaging in laryngeal cancers. The Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. 2012 Jul; 22(3):209. PMid: 23599569 PMCid: PMC3624744. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-3026.107183.
- Magnano M, Bongioannini G, Cirillo S, Regge D, Martinich L, Canale G et al. Virtual endoscopy of laryngeal carcinoma: Is it useful? Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2005; 132(5):776–82. PMid: 15886634. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2005.01.031.
- Bobdey S, Jain A, Balasubramanium G. Epidemiological review of laryngeal cancer: An Indian perspective. Indian J Med Paediatric Oncolgy. 2015; 36:154–60. PMid: 26855523 PMCid: PMC4743184. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.166721.
- Chauhan JPS, Bharti B, Bhadouriya SS, Kumar A, Narain P, Singh J. Laryngeal cancer: A clinicopathological study of 65 cases. Int J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; 4:163– 8. https://doi.org/10.18203/issn.2454-5929.ijohns20175619
- Rao DN, Desai PB Ganesh B. Alcohol as an additional risk factor in laryngopharyngeal cancer in Mumbai - A case control study. Cancer Detect Prev. 1999; 23:37–44. PMid: 9892989. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1500.1999.09906.x.
- Nachalon Y, Cohen O, Alkan U, Shvero J, Popovtzer A. Characteristics and outcome of laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma in young adults. Oncology letters. 2017 Mar 1; 13(3):1393–7. PMid: 28454267 PMCid: PMC5403180. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5528.
- Karatzanis et al. Management of locally advanced laryngeal cancer. Journal of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 2014; 43:4. PMid: 24472173 PMCid: PMC3909348. https://doi.org/10.1186/1916-0216-43-4