Introduction: Distal Tibia fractures are considered as a surgeon’s nightmare as it is difficult to treat due to less muscle cover, precarious blood supply and its proximity to ankle joint. Here we compare two surgical procedures Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) and Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO) methods. Aims and Objectives: Study was done to compare results between surgical approaches ORIF vs. MIPO in treatment of lower third tibia fractures. Methodology: The study included 64 patients out of which 32 were treated by ORIF and remaining 32 by MIPO. Outcome was evaluated on the basis of length of incision, duration of surgery, blood loss, duration of stay, mobilization with partial and full weight bearing, AOFAS grading. Results: Length of incision, blood loss, mobilization at full weight bearing was significantly higher in ORIF group as compared to MIPO and was statistically significant. Results and Conclusion: MIPO offers biological advantages over conventional plating techniques in terms of low surgical trauma, preservation of the blood supply, lesser evacuation of osteogenic fracture hematoma and stable construct.
How to Cite
Joshi, S., Shelar, S. R., Wagh, N., Challawar, N., & Salunkhe, C. (2020). Functional Outcome of Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) versus Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO) in Distal Third Tibia Fractures. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 209–215. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/24646
- Helfet DL, Koval K, et al. Intra-articular pilon fractures of the tibia. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994; 298:221–8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-199401000-00029.
- Lee YS, Chen SW, Chen SH, et al. Stabilisation of the fractured fibula plays an important role in the treatment of pilon fractures: A retrospective comparison of fibular fixation methods. Int Orthop. 2009; 695–9. PMid: 18931843 PMCid: PMC2903122. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-008-0654-4.
- Ruedi T. Fractures of the lower end of the tibia into the ankle joint: Result 9 years after open reduction and internal fixation. Injury. 1973; 5:130–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(73)80089-0.
- Reudi T, Matter P, Allgower M, et al. Intra-articular fractures of the distal tibial end. Helv Chir Acta. 1968; 35:556–82..
- Zelle BA, Bhandari M, Espiritu M, Koval KJ, Zlowodzki M. Evidence-based orthopaedic trauma working group. Treatment of distal tibia fractures without articular involvement: A systematic review of 1125 fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2006 Jan 1; 20(1):76–9. PMid: 16424818. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.bot.0000202997.45274.a1.
- Hasenboehler E, Rikli D, Babst R. Locking compression plate with minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis in diaphyseal and distal tibial fracture: A retrospective study of 32 patients. Injury. 2007 Mar 1; 38(3):365–70. PMid: 17241634. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2006.10.024.
- Gupta RK, Rohilla RK, Sangwan K, Singh V, Walia S. Locking plate fixation in distal metaphyseal tibial fractures: Series of 79 patients. International Orthopaedics. 2010 Dec 1; 34(8):1285–90. PMid: 19820935 PMCid: PMC2989064. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-009-0880-4.
- Ibrahim T, Beiri A, Azzabi M, Best AJ, Taylor GJ, Menon DK. Reliability and validity of the subjective component of the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society clinical rating scales. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2007 Mar 1; 46(2):65–74. PMid: 17331864. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2006.12.002.
- Bedi A, Le TT, Karunakar MA. Surgical treatment of non-articular distal tibia fractures. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2006 Jul 1; 14(7):406–16. PMid: 16822888. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200607000-00003.
- Collinge C, Protzman R. Outcomes of minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis for metaphyseal distal tibia fractures. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2010 Jan 1; 24(1):24–9. PMid: 20035174. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e3181ac3426.
- Redfern DJ, Syed SU, Davies SJ. Fractures of the distal tibia: Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis. Injury. 2004 Jun 1; 35(6):615–20. PMid: 15135282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2003.09.005.
- Teeny SM, Wiss DA. Open reduction and internal fixation of tibial plafond fractures. Variables contributing to poor results and complications. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 1993 Jul; (292):108–17. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-199307000-00013.
- Cheng W, Li Y, Manyi W. Comparison study of two surgical options for distal tibia fracture-minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis vs. open reduction and internal fixation. International Orthopaedics. 2011 May 1; 35(5):737–42. PMid: 20517695 PMCid: PMC3080491. https://doi. org/10.1007/s00264-010-1052-2.
- Guo JJ, Tang N, Yang HL, Tang TS. A prospective, randomised trial comparing closed intramedullary nailing with percutaneous plating in the treatment of distalmetaphyseal fractures of the tibia. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume. 2010 Jul; 92(7):984–8. PMid: 20595119. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.92B7.22959.
- McCann PA, Jackson M, Mitchell ST, Atkins RM. Complications of definitive open reduction and internal fixation of pilon fractures of the distal tibia. International Orthopaedics. 2011 Mar 1; 35(3):413–8. PMid: 20352430 PMCid: PMC3047643. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-010-1005-9.
- Zou J, Zhang W, Zhang CQ. Comparison of minimally invasive percutaneous plate osteosynthesis with open reduction and internal fixation for treatment of extra articular distal tibia fractures. Injury. 2013 Aug 1; 44(8):1102–6. PMid: 23473266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2013.02.006.
- Borg T, Larsson S, Lindsjo U. Percutaneous plating of distal tibial fractures: 199 preliminary results in 21 patients. Injury. 2004 Jun 1; 35(6):608–14. PMid: 15135281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2003.08.015.
- Guo JJ, Tang N, Yang HL, Tang TS. A prospective, randomised trial comparing closed intramedullary nailing with percutaneous plating in the treatment of distal metaphyseal fractures of the tibia. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010 Jul; 92(7):984–8. PMid: 20595119. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.92B7.22959.
- Gawali SR, Kukale SB, Nirvane PV, Toshniwal RO. Management of fractures of distal third tibia by interlock nailing. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery (Asia-Pacific). 2016; 3(1):15–22. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10040-1043