Introduction: Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) is a non-invasive and important imaging modality useful for study of pancreas and biliary system using advanced rapid imaging and invention of new sequences for pancreatic and biliary ductal system. Aims and Objectives: To study role of Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) finding in various pancreatico-biliary pathologies. Results: Total 60 cases were studied with various pancreatico-biliary conditions. Variety of study showed that 37(62%) out of 60 cases were encountered with biliary pathologies followed by pancreatic lesion in 17(29%) cases and pancreatic-biliary lesions were present in 6 (9%) cases. Among the lesions, most common cases were of obstructive etiology in 24(40%) followed by inflammatory condition in 21(36%), congenital lesions in 7(11%), neoplastic lesions seen in 6(10%) and strictures in the 2 (3%) cases. Conclusion: According to our study, MRCP is an advanced and noninvasive diagnostic imaging of choice for the pancreatico-biliary lesions.
How to Cite
Garse, P., Kakade, A., Bavisar, S., Yadav, M., & Saxena, S. (2020). Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) Evaluation of Pancreatico-Biliary Diseases. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 216–224. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/22909
- Magnuson TH, Bender JS, Duncan MD. Utility of magnetic resonance cholangiography in evaluation of biliary obstruction. J Am CollSurg. 1999:189:63–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(99)00082-4
- Reinhold C, Bret PM. Current status of MR Cholangiopancreatography. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 166(6):1285–95. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.166.6.8633434. PMid:8633434
- Qayyum A, Coakley FV. MR Cholangiopancreatography. Applied Radiology [Internet]. 2003 Mar 3 [cited 2018 Aug 15. Available from: http://www.appliedradiology.com/ articles/article.asp?ID=807&AdKeyword=Null&Search=Al iya%20Qayyum.
- Patel HT, Shah AJ, Khandelwal SR, Patel HF, Patel MD. MR Cholangiopancre- Atography at 3.0 T. RadioGraphics. 2009; 29:1689–706. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.296095505. PMid:19959516
- Hartman EM, Barish MA. MR Cholangiopancreatography. [Internet]. 2001 Oct 10 [ cited 2018 Aug 15. Available from: http://www.appliedradiology.com/articles/article.asp?ID =519&AdKeyword=Null&Search=Elizabeth%20M. %20 Hartman.
- Vashisht S, Thulkar S, Berry M, Chowdhary V, Mukhopadhyay S, Suri S. Imaging of obstructive biliopathy. Diagnostic radiology: Gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary imaging. 2nd ed. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2006; p. 288–313.
- Halefoglu AM. Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography: A useful tool in the evaluation of pancreatic and biliary disorders. World J Gastroenterol. 2007 May; 13(18):2529–34. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v13.i18.2529. PMid:17551999. PMCid:PMC4146812
- Griffin N, Charles-Edwards G, Grant LA. Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography: The ABC of MRCP. Insights into Imaging. 2012 Feb 1; 3(1):11–21. https:// doi.org/10.1007/s13244-011-0129-9. PMid:22695995. PMCid:PMC3292642
- Chang YR, Jang JY, Kwon W, Park JW, Kang MJ, Ryu JK, et al. Changes in demographic features of gallstone disease: 30 years of surgically treated patients. Gut and Liver. 2013 Nov; 7(6):719. https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl.2013.7.6.719. PMid:24312714. PMCid:PMC3848536
- Chhoda A, Jain D, Singhal S. Sex-related differences in predicting choledocholithiasis using current American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy risk criteria. Ann Gastroenterol. 2017; 30(6):682. https://doi.org/10.20524/aog.2017.0198. PMid:29118564. PMCid:PMC5670289
- Regan F, Fradin J, Khazan R, Bohlman M, Magnuson T. Choledocholithiasis: evaluation with MR cholangiography. Halefoglu AM. MRCP in the pancreaticobiliary disorders 2533. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996; 167:1441–5. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.167.6.8956574. PMid:8956574
- Charels K, Kloppel G. The bile duct system and its anatomical variations. Endoscopy. 1989; 21 (suppl 1):300–8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-1012978. PMid:2691235
- Lillemoe KD, Pitt HA, Cameron JL. Current management of benign bile duct strictures. Adv Surg. 1992; 25: 119–74.
- Vitellas KM, El-Dieb A, Vaswani K, Bennett WF, Fromkes J, Steinberg S, et al. Detection of bile duct leaks using MR cholangiography with mangfodipirtrisodium (Teslascan). J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2001; 25: 102–5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004728-200101000-00019. PMid:11176303
- Venkatachalam V, Dhanasekaran U. An analytical study of gallstones and its clinical outcome. Journal of Evidence Based Medicine and Healthcare. 2017 Jan 1; 4(69):4147–51. https://doi.org/10.18410/jebmh/2017/825
- Barish MA, Soto JA. MR cholangiopancreatography: techniques and clinical applications. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997; 169: 1295–303. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.169.5.9353445. PMid:9353445
- Jinxing Yu, Mary Ann Turner, Fulcher AS, Halvorsen RA. Congenital anomalies and normal variants of the pancreaticobiliary tract and the pancreas in adults Part 2, pancreatic duct and pancreas. Am J Roentgenol. Dec. 2006; 187(6): 1544-53.
- Hirao K, Miyazaki A, Fujimoto T, Isomoto I, Hayashi K. Evaluation of aberrant bile ducts before laparoscopic cholecystectomy versus MR cholangiography. Am J Roentgenol. Sep. 2000; 175(3): 713-20.
- Ros PR, Mortele KJ. Anatomic Variants of the Biliary Tree. Am J Roentgenol. Aug. 2001; 177(2): 389-94.
- Freeny PC, Marks WM, Ryan JA, Traverso LW. Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: Diagnosis and staging with dynamic CT. Radiology. 1988; 166:125–33. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.166.1.2827228. PMid:2827228
- Lee MG, Lee HJ, Kim MH, Kang EM, Kim YH, Lee SG, et al. Extrahepatic biliary diseases: 3D MR cholangiopancreatography compared with endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Radiology. 1997; 202: 663–9. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.202.3.9051013. PMid:9051013
- Silas AM, Morrin MM, Raptopoulos V, Keogan MT. Intraductal papillary mucinous tumors of the pancreas. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 176: 179–85. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.176.1.1760179. PMid:11133563