Introduction: Thalassemia and other hemoglobinopathies are the most common routinely encountered congenital anemias in India. Sickle cell anemia is very common, so a study to rule out all the hemoglobinopathies is essential. Aims and Objectives: The present study was conducted to diagnose various hemoglobinopathies among clinically suspected cases., the present study was conducted to diagnose various hemoglobinopathies among clinically suspected cases. Materials and Methods: A total of 212 cases cases were undertaken in this study after they met the inclusion and exclusion criteria. HPLC was performed on the samples received in the Central Clinical Laboratory of Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Nashik, Maharashtra. Results: Out of 212 cases, 42 cases showed positivity for thalassemia or presence of abnormal hemoglobin, with 8% cases of Beta thalassemia trait, 1.88% cases of Beta thalassemia major, 4.7% cases of Sickle cell trait, 4.24% cases of Sickle cell disease and 0.94% cases of Sickle-thalassemia. Conclusions: HPLC is a fast, reliable, and cost-effective method to diagnose any suspected case of hemoglobinopathy.
How to Cite
Bajaj, P., & Gupta, A. (2020). Spectrum of Hemoglobinopathies Diagnosed by High Performance Liquid Chromatography at a Tertiary Care Centre: An Observational Study. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 240–245. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/24503
- Borgna-Pignatti C, Galanello R. Thalassemias and related disorders: Quantitative disorders of haemoglobinopathies synthesis. Wintrobe’s Clinical Haematology. 13th ed. Vol 1. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014. p.1990– 2119.
- Bhalodia JN, Oza HV, Modi PJ, Shah AM, Patel KA, Patel HB. Study of hemoglobinopathies in patients of anemia using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) in Western India. Natl J Comm Med. 2015; 6(1):35-40. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/792485. PMid:25692053. PMCid:PMC4321080
- Buch A, Iqbal B, Bordawekar R, Jain A, Jariwala P, Rathod H. Patterns of haemoglobinopathies diagnosed by high performance liquid chromatography in and around Pune (Western Maharashtra, India): A pilot study. J Med Soc. 2016; 30:111–5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-4958.182921
- Narang S, Singh A, Nema S. Spectrum of haemoglobinopathies in a suburb of Indore (India): A two-year study. Indian J Pathol: Research and Practice. 2017; 6(2):378–82. https://doi.org/10.21088/ijprp.2278.148X.62(pt-II)17.6
- Sachdev R, Dam AR, Tyagi G. Detection of Hb variants and hemoglobinopathies in Indian population using HPLC: Report of 2600 cases. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2010; 53(1):57–62. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.59185. PMid:20090224
- Wajcman H, Moradkhani K. Abnormal haemoglobins: Detection and characterization. Indian J Med Res. 2011 Oct; 134(4):538–46.
- Patne SC, Shukla J. Hemoglobin E disorder in Eastern Uttar Pradesh. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2009; 52:110–2. https:// doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.44991. PMid:19136801
- Working party of the general haematology task force of the British committee for standards in haematology. Guideline: The laboratory diagnosis of haemoglobinopathies. Br J Haematol 1998; 101:783–92. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.1998.00809.x. PMid:9674756
- Bravo-Urquiola M, Arends A, Montilla S, Velasquez D, Garcia G, Alvarez M, et al. Advantages in the use of high performance chromatography technique for screening hemoglobinopathies in Venezuela. Invest Clin. 2004; 45:309–15.
- Gupta PK, Kumar H, Kumar S, Jaiprakash M. Cation exchange high performance liquid chromatography for diagnosis of hemoglobinopathies. Med J Armed Forces India. 2009; 65:1. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-1237(09)80051-8
- Iqbal MS, Tabassum A, Chatura KR. Spectrum of thalassemia and hemoglobinopathies in a tertiary care diagnostic center. J Adv Clin Res Insights. 2016; 3:161–5. https://doi. org/10.15713/ins.jcri.129
- Mondal SK, Mandal S. Prevalence of thalassemia and haemoglobinopathy in Eastern India: A 10-year high-performance liquid chromatography study of 119,336 cases. Asian J Transfus Sci. 2016 Jan-Jun; 10(1):105–110. https:// doi.org/10.4103/0973-6247.175424. PMid:27011683. PMCid:PMC4782486
- Sarvaiya AN, Chauhan SC. Variant hemoglobin spectrum by cation exchange high performance liquid chromatography: A study of 2035 subjects. Ann Pathol Lab Med. 2017 May; 4(3):297–302. https://doi.org/10.21276/APALM.1393
- Baruah MK, Saikia M, Baruah A. Pettern of hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias in upper assam region of North East India: High Performance Liquid Chromatography studies in 9000 patients. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2014; 57(2):236–43. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.134680. PMid:24943756
- Shrivastav A, Patel U, Joshi JR, Kaur A, Agnihotri AS. Study of hemoglobinopathies and Hb variants in population of Western India using HPLC: A report of 7,000 cases. J Appl Hematol. 2013; 4:104–9. https://doi.org/10.4103/1658- 5127.123308