Novel corona virus is a new strain of corona virus family, caused by SARS-CoV-2, probably of bat origin, not previously identified in humans. The time between entry of virus in body and start of first symptoms is the incubation period of the disease. For COVID-19 the incubation period is from two days to fourteen days. COVID-19 disease spreads through small droplets from nose and mouth. Spread is also through skin contacts and even through air while speaking. Blood is an integral part of the healthcare system. During the COVID-19 pandemic blood transfusion services were affected worldwide. The blood transfusion service had to face many challenges also in India. Voluntary blood donation was decreased which is the main source of blood and blood components. In lockdown, problems of transport services, less staff, fear of getting infected all these factors affected the blood donation services. This pandemic has influenced the blood donation activities causing shortage of blood and blood components and thus affected the blood inventory. Hence the blood services had to make appropriate plans to meet the requirements of patients.
How to Cite
Ukey, A., Chikhalikar, S., & Bajaj, P. (2020). Safety of Donor and Recipient in COVID-19 Pandemic. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 282–287. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/26740
- Fu L, Wang B, Yuan T, Chen X, Ao Y, Fitzpatrick T, Li P, Zhou Y, Lin Y, Duan Q, Luo G. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Infection. 2020 Apr 10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2020.03.041. PMid:32283155 PMCid:PMC7151416.
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ coronavirus/symptoms-causes/syc-20479963?p=1.
- Das SS, Biswas RN, Zaman RU. An insight into the encountered challenges and performances of a hospital based blood transfusion service in Eastern India in the light of COVID-19 pandemic. Global Journal of Transfusion Medicine. 2020 Jul 1; 5(2):163.
- Ngo A, Masel D, Cahill C, Blumberg N, Refaai MA. Blood banking and transfusion medicine challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. Clinics in laboratory medicine. 2020 Dec 1; 40(4):587-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. cll.2020.08.013. PMid:33121624 PMCid:PMC7414314.
- Nagurney A. How coronavirus is upsetting the blood supply chain. Australia. The Conversation. March 12, 2020 11.05pm AEDT. Available from: https://theconversation. com/how-coronavirus-is-upsetting-the-blood-supply-chain-133424.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Maintaining a safe and adequate blood supply during the pandemic outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Interim guidance. 2020 Mar 20.
- Mahasbtc.org. 2021. Available from: https://mahasbtc.org/ sbtc/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/KMBT_215_08335.pdf.
- Network AP. APBN Rapid Brief White Paper. 2019 Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2). Expected challenges and risks to blood safety. 2020 Feb. p. 17.
- Aabb.org. 2021 [cited 7 January 2021]. Available from: https://www. aabb.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/regulatory/impact-of-2019-novel-coronavirus-on-blood-donation.pdf?sfvrsn=d9d0deb1_0.
- Politis C, Papadaki M, Politi L, Kourti G, Richardson C, Asariotou M, Tsakris A, Mentis A. Post-donation information and haemovigilance reporting for COVID-19 in Greece: Information supporting the absence of SARS-CoV-2 possible transmission through blood components. Transfusion Clinique et Biologique. 2020 Oct 20. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.tracli.2020.10.007.
- Al Riyami AZ, Abdella YE, Badawi MA, Panchatcharam SM, Ghaleb Y, Maghsudlu M, Satti M, Lahjouji K, Merenkov Z, Adwan A, Feghali R. The impact of COVID-19 pandemic on blood supplies and transfusion services in Eastern Mediterranean Region. Transfusion Clinique et Biologique. 2020 Dec 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tracli.2020.11.002. PMid:33276150 PMCid:PMC7706593.
- Arcot PJ, Kumar K, Mukhopadhyay T, Subramanian A. Potential challenges faced by blood bank services during COVID-19 pandemic and their mitigative measures: The Indian scenario. Transfusion and Apheresis Science. 2020 Jul 16:102877. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.transci.2020.102877. PMid:32709475 PMCid:PMC7365118.
- Guidance for Industry: Recommendations for the Assessment of Donor Suitability and Blood Product Safety in Cases of Suspected Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) or Exposure to SARS | FDA. Fda.gov. 2021. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/media/72313.
- Rajendran V, Pinki S. Impact of COVID-19 outbreak in blood transfusion services in India: Experience from tertiary care blood centres in Kerala: A short review. Global Journal of Transfusion Medicine. 2020 Jul 1; 5(2):215.
- Gupta D. Voluntary blood donation: challenges in COVID -19 pandemic-Indian scenario. Ann Blood. 2020; 5:21. https://doi.org/10.21037/aob-20-54.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Important information for blood establishments regarding the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Available from: https://www.wsj.com/articles/how -to-donate -blood-during-the-spread-of-coronavirus-11584742912.
- Stanworth SJ, New HV, Apelseth TO, Brunskill S, Cardigan R, Doree C, Germain M, Goldman M, Massey E, Prati D, Shehata N. Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on supply and use of blood for transfusion. The Lancet Haematology. 2020 Jul 3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(20)30186- 1.
- Ilyas S, Srivastava RR, Kim H. Disinfection technology and strategies for COVID-19 hospital and biomedical waste management. Science of the Total Environment. 2020 Dec 20; 749:141652. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141652. PMid:32822917 PMCid:PMC7419320.
- Das A, Garg R, Ojha B, Banerjee T. Biomedical waste management: The challenge amidst COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Laboratory Physicians. 2020 Aug; 12(2):161. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1716662. PMid:32905217 PMCid:PMC7467828.
- Sharma HB, Vanapalli KR, Cheela VS, Ranjan VP, Jaglan AK, Dubey B, Goel S, Bhattacharya J. Challenges, opportunities, and innovations for effective solid waste management during and post COVID-19 pandemic. Resources, conservation and recycling. 2020 Nov 1; 162:105052. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2020.105052. PMid:32834486 PMCid:PMC7362850.
- Sapkota A, Poudel S, Sedhain A, Khatiwada N. Blood transfusion practice among healthcare personnel in Nepal: An observational study. Journal of Blood Transfusion. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6190859. PMid:29670804 PMCid:PMC5833242