Introduction: Immediate postpartum period is the period from expulsion of placenta to 48 hours of delivery. The CuT-380A is effective for 10 years of continuous use. Institutional delivery provides an opportunity to the women with immediate Post-placental Intrauterine Contraceptive Device Services. Aims and Objectives: To compare complications of PPIUCD inserted after vaginal delivery and during caesarean section up to 12 weeks. To compare the rate of expulsion of PPIUCD inserted after vaginal delivery and after caesarean section. Material and Methods: Total 200 subjects were included in the study. Group A - Consisting of 100 subjects in whom IUCD (CuT 380 A) was inserted after vaginal delivery. Group B - Consisting of 100 subjects in whom IUCD (CuT 380 A) was inserted during caesarean section. Results: Whether CuT is expelled or in situ among both groups at 6 weeks and at 12 weeks shows significant difference in both groups; the rate of expulsion is more in group A at 6 weeks than group B, at 12 weeks there is no significant difference (P value = 0.0001 at 6 weeks and P value = 0.579 at 12 weeks). The reason might be early ambulation of patients after vaginal delivery compared to caesarean section. Conclusion: There should be a campaign to increase the awareness regarding lengths of PPIUCD. Health care personnel should be properly trained regarding aseptic insertion techniques and this will increase the usage of PPIUCD, reduce the unmet needs of contraception and also decrease the complications.
How to Cite
Jadhav, A., & Patil, A. (2020). A Comparative Study of Post-placental IUCD Insertion after Vaginal Delivery versus during Caesarean Section. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences, 151–154. https://doi.org/10.18311/mvpjms/2020/v7i2/24572
- Post-partum IU. reference manual; Family Planning Division. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi, India. 2010.
- Xu JX, Reusche C, Burdan A. Immediate Post-Placental Insertion of Intrauterine Device: A review of Chinese and world experiences. Adv Contracept. 1994; 10:71–82. PMid: 8030457. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01986532
- Suri V. Post-placental Insertion of Intrauterine Contraceptive device. Indian J Med Res. 2012; 136:370-1.
- Family Planning needs during extended Post Partum Period in Asia: USAID/ACCESS 2009; 1.
- Winner B, Peipert JF, Zhao Q, Buckel C, Madden T, Allsworth JE, Secura GM. Effectiveness of Long-Acting Reversible Contraception. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012; 366(21):1998–2007. PMid: 22621627. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1110855
- Report of a WHO Technical Consultation on Birth Spacing. Geneva, Switzerland. 2005; Jun13-15.
- Long-acting Reversible Contraception: The effective and appropriate use of long-acting reversible contraception. NICE clinical Guidelines, No. 30.National collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health (UK). London: RCOG Press; 2005 Oct; 8–13.
- Gupta D, Sharm S, Kanhere A, Jahan I. Study of acceptance of intra caesarean IUCD as method of contraception. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology Gupta D et al. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Nov; 6(11):5033–7. https://doi.org/10.18203/23201770.ijrcog20175021
- Mishra S. Evaluation of safety, efficacy and expulsion of post-placental and intra-cesarean insertion of intrauterine contraceptive devices (PPIUCD). J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2014; 64(5):337–43. PMid: 25368457 PMCid: PMC4199427. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-014-0550-3
- Hooda R. Immediate postpartum intrauterine contraceptive device insertions in caesarean and vaginal deliveries: A comparative study of follow-up outcomes. International Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2016; Article ID 7695847: 1–5. doi/org/10.1155/2016/7695847
- Thiam O, Cisse ML, Ndiaye P, Thiam M, Tendeng JN, Gueye M, Niang MO, Diouf AA, Moreau JC. The Intrauterine Device (IUD) of the immediate postpartum a comparative study between the caesarean IUD and the IUD inserted after a natural delivery. Clinical Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2015; 1(3):87–92. https://doi.org/10.15761/COGRM.1000123
- Lall J, Nagar O. Comparative study of post placental cut insertion following vaginal and caesarean section. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017 Mar; 6(3):901–6. https://doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20170553
- Najam M, Rasheed N, Aslam S. Immediate post partum insertion of IUCD during caesarean delivery and vaginal delivery. Postpartum intrauterine contraceptive device: Expulsion rate after vaginal delivery and caesarean section. JSZMC. 2018; 9(1):1328–30.