Introduction: The anterior cruciate ligament is truly a "CRUCIAL" ligament of the knee. It prevents anterior translation of tibia over femur and has definite role in providing rotational stability of knee. The aim is to restore ligamentous stability and preserving a functional pain free range of motion of knee. The graft has initial load to failure greater than native ACL, its stiffness more closely approximates native ACL. Material and Methods: This study was conducted in department of orthopaedics of NDMVP'S Medical college and hospital. 25 cases with "Tear/Rupture" anterior cruciate ligament were treated with arthroscopic reconstruction with quadrupled semitendinosus graft. Patients were assessed for the functional outcome using Tegner Lysholm score. Results: All 25 cases had fair to excellent functional outcomes. Conclusion: Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction "using quadrupled semitendonosus" is an effective method and gives stable fixation with excellent results.
How to Cite
Negi, V. S., Pawar, U., & Pangwane, S. (2016). Functional Outcome of Arthroscopic Reconstruction of Anterior Cruciate Ligament using Quadrupled Semitendinosis Autograft. MVP Journal of Medical Sciences. Retrieved from https://mvpjms.org/index.php/mvpjms/article/view/230
- Clancy WG, Ray JM , Zoltan DJ. Arthroscopic reconstruction of ACL: A comparison of patellar tendon autograft and four- strand hamstring tendon autograft. Am J Sports Med. 1999; 27:444–54.
- Frank C, Jackson DW. The science of reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1997 Oct; 79A(10):1556–76.
- Fu FH, Bennett CH, Ma CB, et al. Current trends in ACL reconstruction part II. Operative procedures and clinical correlations. Am J Sports Med. 2000 Jan-Feb; 28(1):124–30.
- Andersson C, Gillquist J. Treatment of acute isolated and combined ruptures of ACL- A long term follow up study. Am J Sports. 1992 Jan-Feb; 20(1):7–12.
- Dye SF, Chew MH. The use of scintigraphy to detect increased osseous metabolic activity about the knee. Instr Course Lecture. 1994; 43:453–69.
- Tenuta JJ, Arciero RA. Arthroscopic evaluation of meniscal repairs. Factors that affect healing. Am J Sports Med. 1994 Nov- Dec; 22(6):797–802.
- Kessler MA, Behrend H, Henz S, Stutz G, Rukavina A, Kuster MS. Function, osteoarthritis and activity after ACL-rupture: 11 years follow –up results of conservative versus reconstructive treatment. Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy. 2008 May; 16(5):442–8.
- Aglietti P, Buzzi R, Menchetti PM, Giron F. Arthroscopically assisted semitendinosus and gracilis tendon graft in reconstruction for acute anterior criciate ligament injuries in athletes. Am J Sports Med. 1996 Nov-Dec; 24(6):726–31.
- Sherman OH, Banffy MB. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: Which graft is best? Arthroscopy. 2004 Nov; 20(9):974–80.
- Mauro CS, Irrgang JJ, Williams BA, Harner Cd. Loss of extension following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: Analysis of incidence and aetiology using OKDC criteria. Arthtoscopy. 2008 Feb; 24(2):146–53. Epub. 2007 Nov 5.
- Breitfuss H, Frohlich R, Povacz P, Resch H, Wicker A. The tendon defect after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using the mid third patellar tendon: A problem for the patellofemoral joint? Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy. 1996; 3(4):794–8.
- Cho KO. Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament by semitendinosus tenodesis. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 1975 Jul; 57(5):608–12.
- Aglietti P, Giron F, Buzzi R, Biddau F, Sasso F. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction:Bone –patellar tendon-bone compared with double semitendinosus and gracilis tendon grafts. A prospective, randomized clinical trial. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am. 2004 Oct; 86-A(10):2143–55.
- Galen C. On the usefulness of parts of the body. Mt. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press; 1968.
- Bonnet A. Traite des maladies des articulations. Paris: Bailliere; 1845.
- Wilson WJ, Fort Lewis, Scranton PE Jr; Combined treconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament in competitive atheletes. JBJS 1990 Jan; 72A;742-48.
- Sharma UC. Intra-articular cruciate ligament reconstruction. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 1991 July; 25(2):106- 9.
- O Neil DB (1996); Arthrocopically assisted reconstruction of anterior cruciate ligament. Aprospective randamozid trial of three techniques. JBJS; 1996 78(6):803-13