Background: Distal femur fractures represent 4-6% of all the femoral fractures and they occur within the 9 terminal centimeters. Most distal femur fractures are the result of a severe axial load with a varus, valgus or rotational force. Though various treatment options are available for the management of these injuries with their own advantages and disadvantages, treatment of these fractures with the angle stable constructs using Locking compression plating remains the most desirable treatment option. Objectives: To study the functional outcomes and complications of intra-articular distal end femur fractures treated with Locking Compression Plating. Materials and Methods: A prospective observational study was conducted over a period of 3 years on 47 patients requiring operational intervention for distal end femur fractures. Results: We studied different parameters like age of the patients, mode of injury, type of injury according to AO classification, duration of hospitalization, movement of knee after operation, Neer’s score results, union or non-union and compared our studies with other studies we find satisfactory results in our study in outcome of the patient As per the Neer’s knee score, excellent and good outcome was seen in 48.9% and 38.3% cases while fair and poor outcome was seen in 8.5% and 4.3% cases respectively. Conclusion: From our study we concluded that Distal femoral-LCP, the “internal fixator” was a safe and reliable implant although careful preoperative planning and case selection were important factors which determine the final outcome.
- Corrales LA, Morshed S, Bhandari M, Miclau III T. Variability in the Assessment of Fracture-Healing in Orthopaedic Trauma Studies. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2008; 90(9):1862–8. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.G.01580. PMid:18762645. PMCid:PMC2663323 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.G.01580
- Kumar GNK, Sharma G, Farooque K, Sharma V, Ratan R, Yadav S, et al. Locking compression plate in distal femoral intra-articular fractures: Our experience. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2014; 1(1):1–5. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/372916. PMid:27355064.PMCid:PMC4897574 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/372916
- Phisitkul P, Mckinley TO, Nepola JV, Marsh JL. Complications of locking plate fixation in complex proximal tibia injuries. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2007; 21(2):83–91. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e318030df96. PMid:17304060 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0b013e318030df96
- Ehlinger M, Rahme M, Moor BK, Di Marco A, Brinkert D, et al. Reliability of locked plating in tibial plateau fractures with a medial component. Orthopaedics and Traumatology: Surgery and Research. 2012; 98(2):173–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2011.10.009. PMid:22342730 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2011.10.009
- Koval KJ, Hoehl JJ, Kummer FJ. Distal femoral fixation: A biomechanical comparison of the standard condylar buttress plate, a locked buttress plate and the 95-degree blade plate. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 1997; 11:521–4. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-199710000-00010. PMid:9334954 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00005131-199710000-00010
- Singh SK, Kishore N, Singh A, Nag S, Hembram S. A comparative study-plating of fracture around knee joint by Mipo V/S conventional technique. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS). 2015; 1(14):37–47.
- Pascarella R, Bettuzzi C, Bosco G, Leonetti D, Dessì S, Forte P, et al. Results in treatment of distal femur fractures using polyaxial locking plate. Strategies in Trauma and Limb Reconstruction. 2014 Apr 1;9(1):13–8. https://doi.org/10. 1007/s11751-013-0182-7. PMid:24362757. PMCid: PMC3951620 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11751-013-0182-7
- Menon RR, Subramanian V. Functional outcome of distal femoral fractures treated by minimally invasive surgery using locking condylar plate. Kerala Journal of Orthopaedics. 2014 Mar 5; 27(1):22–8.
- Virk JS, Garg SK, Gupta P, Jangira V, Singh J, Rana S. Distal femur locking plate: The answer to all distal femoral fractures. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2016; 10(10):RC01. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/22071.8759. PMid:27891409. PMCid:PMC5121747
- Shrestha SK, Devkota P, Khadka PB, Manandhar HK, Pradhan NS, Acharya BM. Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis for distal femur fractures. Journal of Minimally Invasive Orthopedics. 2016; 3(3). https://doi.org/10.15383/jmio.15 DOI: https://doi.org/10.15383/jmio.15
- Gupta GK, Rani S, Kumar R, Singh B. Analysis of management of supracondylar femur fracture by locking compression plate. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2016; 2(4): 218–22. https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2016.v2.i4d.35 DOI: https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2016.v2.i4d.35
- Parikh M, Mukherjee S, Patel N, Dhond A, Khedekar R. Minimally invasive plating of high energy metaphyseal proximal tibial fractures: our experience. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2015;1(4):3433– 42. https://doi.org/10.14260/jemds/2015/496 DOI: https://doi.org/10.14260/jemds/2015/496
- Chintawar G, Deshpande S, Khan SM, Gawande V, Sharma A, Singh PK, et al. Evaluation of outcome of proximal tibia fractures managed with MIPPO. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics Surgery. 2016; 2(2):156–64. https://doi.org/10.5958/2395-1362.2016.00032.3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5958/2395-1362.2016.00032.3
- Machhi R, Namsha B, Dindod V. Outcome of intra articular distal femur fracture treated with locking compression plate. International Orthopedic Journal. 2017; 3(3):503–7. https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i3h.81 DOI: https://doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i3h.81
- Jhatoth DS. Clinical and radiological outcome of distal femur fractures treated surgically with locking compression plate. National Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics. 2019; 3(1): 140–6. https://doi.org/10.33545/orthor.2019.v3.i1c.28 DOI: https://doi.org/10.33545/orthor.2019.v3.i1c.28
- Bhimani R, Bhimani F, Singh P. Functional outcome of distal femur fractures treated with locking compression plate. Journal of Orthopedic Research and Therapy. 2019.
- Lee JA, Papadakis SA, Moon C, Zalavras CG. Tibial plateau fractures treated with the less invasive stabilisation system. International Orthopaedics. 2007; 31:415–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-006-0176-x. PMid:16847644. PMCid: PMC2267604 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-006-0176-x
- Virk JS, Garg SK, Gupta P, Jangira V, Singh J, Rana S. Distal femur locking plate: The answer to all distal femoral fractures. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2016; 10(10):RC01. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/22071.8759. PMid:27891409. PMCid:PMC5121747 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/22071.8759
- Sahu RL. Functional outcome following internal fixation of intraarticular fractures of the distal femur. Acta Orthopaedica Belgica. 2015; 83:215–22.
- Ramu AC. Functional outcome of management of fracture of distal femur. National Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics. 2018; 2(1):32–6.
- Choudhary S, Mane VS, Gaonkar NK, Sharma V. Evaluation of functional outcome of treatment for distal femur fractures. 2019. Orthopaedics. 2007; 31:415–18.a
- Neer CS, Grantham SA, Shelton ML. Supracondylar fracture of the adult femur. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1967; 49A:591–613. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196749040-00001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196749040-00001